English "laydown" = French "application"? Jargon?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 03:45:34 UTC 2008

My wife didn't like the off-brand set of crayons much, so she went to
the name-brand, Crayola. And yes, she assures me, information printed
on the packaging containing the Crayola set also makes reference to
"laydown" and not to "application."

And it's interesting that "colored" instead of "coloring" also appears
to be the proper term and not a mistake.

One never knows, do one?

-Wilson

On Feb 3, 2008 2:00 PM, Andrea Morrow <aandrea1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Andrea Morrow <aandrea1234 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: English "laydown" = French "application"? Jargon?
>
> As someone who works with pastels and colored pencils in my hobby, I
> can attest that color "laydown" (also "lay down" and "lay-down") is a
> common usage for people I know who use these media.  In my mind, it
> means color that is applied directly from the pencil or pastel, as
> opposed to using a brush or solvent to transfer it.  A quick google
> search turned up lots of hits with this meaning. I can't say where
> this use came from, but it is in wide usage beyond one brand of
> colored pencils.
>
> Andrea
>

> On Feb 3, 2008 1:35 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

-----