"gimme some skin", "righteous" (Burley, 1940)

Mon Feb 4 05:47:10 UTC 2008

Here are two AAVE-isms that OED dates back to 1942 from Zora Neale
Hurston. In both cases, Dan Burley beats Hurston by two years.

* give (slip, etc.) me some skin (OED 1942)

1940 _New York Amsterdam News_ 6 July 20/1 "Well, Jack, lay it on me!
Gimme some skin." (Shakes hands with pal.)
1940 _New York Amsterdam News_ 14 Dec. 21/5 Dig me some skin like
Rin-Tin-Tin, now ole man, can you grin?

* righteous = 'excellent' (OED 1942)

1940 _New York Amsterdam News_ 5 Oct. 20/1 The Glamour Gals were
wining like camels at an oasis while this solid old ofay was digging
out twenties and whatnot paying for all that righteous "gage."
1941 _New York Amsterdam News_ 8 Mar. 20/7 Made up of youngsters, the
orchestra has improved steadily since Bostic decided to take over a
baton and the arrangements played as truly righteous.

--Ben Zimmer