Horne

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Feb 4 17:15:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 01:21:48AM -0500, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> Is Horne's 1963 _Hiptionary_, which these word-lists presumably fed
> into, known to anyone here? It doesn't show up as cited in the OED, so
> that doesn't bode well for its  potential for antedating and such.
> Still, the "good lookin' out" in the 1961 piece is the earliest I've
> seen in print (though Wilson recalls it from the '50s).

I have a copy of this displayed rather prominently in my
office (the cover is cool), so you've looked at it, Ben,
perhaps without realizing.

It's mostly illustrated, the glossary portions aren't very
extensive. There are some short subject-specific glossaries,
and then a lot of full-page illustrations by Jack Davis (of
_MAD_ and other fame) with short captions. There's also a
lovely portrait of him on the back cover.

Overall, it's not the most useful dictionary for antedating
purposes.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED