English is "diminishing"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 4 19:36:58 UTC 2008

>Wow, thanks for passing this along.
>
>Still, this piece is so poorly argued and violative of the linguistic
>principles it pretends to defend that I wonder whether it's intended as
>parody.

No, I think it's a deadly serious but poorly written undergraduate essay.

"The movie "Clueless" is based on Jane Austen's novel "Emma,"
although students and adults alike fail to regard Austen's prolific
work as the mother of literary offspring."

Two parts oblivion with a dollop of delusional, stir until completely
mixed, add in a pinch of hostility,...

What can you say?

LH