Truespel Spam?

Tue Feb 5 19:14:52 UTC 2008

That was not what I meant at all. My point was that "Truespel" is not a spammer any more than (eg) Arnold is.  Or at least not much more than any of us is.

I personally find Arnold's contributions more interesting and valuable than anything on ADS-L.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>

Date:         Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:19:09
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Truespel Spam?

On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:26 AM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> However, if Mr. Truespel is a spammer, so are most of us to one
> degree or
> another.

> ... Several others continue to direct us to their blogs and
> LanguageLog
> postings.

i can't see how such postings constitute spam, or self-promotion.  in
any case, i post links to Language Log in two situations:

   (1) when a LLog posting of mine cites discussion that was
originally on ADS-L;

   (2) when someone's LLog posting covers material currently under
discussion in ADS-L.

(1) i have always viewed as simple courtesy.  but i'm happy not to
bother with these announcements to ADS-L any more; people who care
about how ADS-L is represented outside this mailing list can just read
Language Log (and various blogs that mention ADS-L on occasion)
regularly.

(2) i view as an attempt to get the scholarship straight and to avoid
repeating or rehashing earlier discussions.  the only alternative i
can see to a link would be to reproduce the material from LLog (either
by typing in a new version or by cutting and pasting the original).
well, there's the alternative of just letting ADS-L go on in apparent
ignorance of this other material.

in both cases, the easier course for me is not to bother posting to
ADS-L, and that's the course i will now adopt.

arnold