Another dating for positive "uptight," if anyone cares

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 6 01:30:45 UTC 2008

Church's English Shoes wingtips, perhaps? in Saint Louis, the most
expensive men's shoes available on the open market. Only a very few
had the drive to buy them, since they weren't cooler than a pair of
biscuit-toe or knob-toe States, just more expensive. Of course, their
very price gave them a sort of inherent cool. The pork pie was never
popular in StL. I know the style only from only from reading an
article in Ebony about Lester Young, the President of the Tenor
Saxophone and the King of the Pork-Pie Hat. The article included a
sidebar on how to pork-pie your own lid. But, in StL, the style was to
wear the lid exactly as it came from the hat shop, with no
modification. The Homburg was the exception.

-Wilson

On 2/4/08, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Another dating for positive "uptight"
>
> Ohh Memories!  My 3 button roll, grey flannel, Mr B shirt and a white
> tie with a black lace overlay, didn't do the stingy brim though, pork
> pie for me, plus my charcoal grey bennie and big black English brogues.
> I thought there was no one sharper in the Zebra Lounge!  No Brooks Bros.
> for me. Smokey Joe's near Maxwell Street.
>
> Wilson Gray wrote:
> > (snip)
> >
> > It's strange that Brooks Bros. would be the epitome of square in NYC.
> > West of the Mississippi - among blacks, IAC - the ideal was to be
> > dressed *up," not down. A stud who wanted to jump sharp and be - not
> > get - laid dressed in an Arrow pin-collar shirt with a silk rep tie, a
> > three-piece Hart, Schaffner & Marx suit, over-the-calf-length socks
> > held up by garters, Stacy-Adams shoes ("States"), a Stutson or Dobbs
> > stingy-brim lid, wore a mustache, if he could grow one, and carried
> > the stereotypical knife. A kind of modified zoot suit called a
> > "three-button roll" or its "one-button roll" variant worn with a shirt
> > with a "Mr. B" (Billy Eckstein-style) rolled collar with a
> > standard-brim fedora was also cool, though a bit déclassé. "Rogues"
> > tended to prefer the latter style. However, wearing the former style
> > didn't necessarily mean that a cat was not a bad motherfucker who
> > could study kick ass when this was called for.
> >
> > And note that I'm describing middle-school and high-school kids as
> > well as college students and young adults. In college, it used be a
> > joke amongst the colored that, on rainy days, when classes ended,
> > white cats in sweatsocks, penny-loafers, chinos, and open-collar dress
> > shirts ran for their cars, whereas the colored cats unfurled their
> > push-button London umbrellas and ran for the streetcar, not being able
> > both to meet the dress code and to afford a short (pronounced "shout"
> > in the hip, hyper-BE used for talking slang). It was definitely better
> > to look good than to feel good.
> >
> > When I lived in Los Angeles, I shopped at the local Brooks Bros. shop,
> > located in a loft downtown. It couldn't have been cooler. You merely
> > told them to bill you and they did, without requiring that you show a
> > single piece of ID, merely accepting whatever name and address that
> > you gave them. (At this time, credit cards had not yet been invented
> > and Brooks Bros. was above requiring the Charge-A-Plate.) That is,
> > they showed blacks the same respect that they showed whites.
> > Die-Know-MITE! You couldn't beat that with a sludge hammer! In
> > addition, there were no tags or labels on Brooks Bros. clothing to
> > indicate where it came from. If you couldn't recognize it simply by
> > the material and the fit, well, that was just your lame, unhip ass.
> > Like, how fine is that? I bought my shoes at Johnston & Murphy, the
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens