"Q: "show me out [something]" = show to me?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 6 17:48:46 UTC 2008

I won't be able to demonstrate my inference fully
(or withdraw it) until I return to the text to
identify the characters and get some more context.

In the meantime, in the absence of such context,
I am also puzzled by "I'll send my servants with
an ox-goad to thee", trying to figure out whether
this is an offer of help, or a threat to smite (or prod out) with a weapon!

Joel

At 2/6/2008 11:47 AM, Andrea Morrow wrote:
> >        Doesn't it seem more likely that the speaker is asking to be
> > escorted out the back way (the postern)?
> >

> > John Baker
> >

>Yes, that is how it seems to me, too - of the same type of
>construction as "show me out the door,"  meaning "walk with me to the
>door."  Admittedly, this use of "show [someone] out the door" can have
>negative connotations ("throw [someone] out"), but I've also heard it
>used in a neutral way, and I've found some hits for that more neutral
>use on google as well.  Here's an example from a blog, just posted
>this morning:
>
>"Xander let her show him out the door, still slightly unsettled.
>Seeing Dawn was great, but he had this nagging feeling that he'd been
>meaning to ask
 some kind of question
 someone."