split infinitive with "not" (1862)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 6 19:19:21 UTC 2008

Just a quick thought, but sometimes I think split infinitives are clearer, and clearer is better.

Ask not what your country can do for you.
Go not to that bad place.
Try not to do the wrong thing.

"Try not" seems to indicate "don't try" just as "ask not" means "don't ask."  In reality if you say "Try to not do the wrong thing" means focusing on active avoidance.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

http://biggestloser.msn.com/