"I am still believing..."

Wed Feb 6 23:43:48 UTC 2008

Similar to established Southern US dialect, "I've been knowing him all my
life" (in the sense of being acquainted)--though such speakers would not say "I'm
knowing him" (except perhaps in the carnal sense).

In the case of "I'm still believing/liking/loving," the presence of the
adverb makes this more acceptable to me.

In a message dated 2/5/08 10:43:16 PM, jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA writes:

> I think it's part of a larger trend to put mental state verbs in the
> present progressive. I remember "I'm not liking this little boy" from
> a play back in the late '80s or early '90s, and "I'm liking X" or
> "I'm not liking X" has caught on fairly well, as, certainly, have
> "I'm loving X" and, of course, "I'm thinking X".
>
> "I'm beliving" gets 53,500 Google hits and "I'm still believing" gets
> 12,200. I'm thinking we'll be having to be getting used to this.
>
> James Harbeck.

48)