I lately lost a preposition

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 10 20:51:56 UTC 2008

OK, so with the (British example of) "proceeded", there is no
article; with the (British, IIRC) examples of "agreed", there is an
article.  But both seemed to me to be lost prepositions:

They agreed on the agenda.
He proceeded to a Ph.D. in 1987.

as us Americans would say.

Perhaps "proceeded DD" in the DNB has proceeded not only to lose its
preposition but also its article; that is, first there was "proceeded
a DD".  And one will find other verbs in Britain that have lost their
prepositions.  And perhaps some, like this "proceeded", that have
also lost their articles?  (Perhaps in Victoria Station.)

Joel

P.S.  Thanks for "anthrous".  I looked in the ADS-L archives briefly,
but didn't find a definition; nor is it in the OED.  Eventually I
thought to check the OED for "anarthrous"!