More on "decimate"

goofy dreaming goofy at DREAMING.ORG
Tue Feb 12 17:51:19 UTC 2008

How is it different from this

...mercantile districts of cities are likely to be decimated by direct hits
of explosive bombs or incendiary bombs - Horatio Bond, ed., Fire Defense,
1941

...a severe frost set in... and my field of turnips was absolutely
decimated; scarce a root was left untouched - Scotsman, 1839 (in Hodgson
1889)

Both from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage page 321