help needed on 19th Century gender nomenclature

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Feb 12 17:57:35 UTC 2008

        1.      The answer really depends on context, but women often
did go by their initials.  For example, if you do a Google Books
full-text search, you'll find many examples of "H.B. Stowe."  These
typically, though not invariably, are in the form "Mrs. H.B. Stowe."
Authors and women in business sometimes used just their initials to
conceal or de-emphasize their feminine gender, a practice that to some
extent continues even today with J.K. Rowling.  For a faux-Victorian
example, see
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/narbonic_plus/series.php?v
iew=archive&chapter=16755&mpe=1&step=1 ("My name on the penny-dreadful
cover is "S.K. Garrity" because I'm concealing my identity as A Lady.").

        2.      While it's hard to know for sure what the Congress had
in mind, consider what alternatives they had to show inclusiveness:
"Not things, but men, women, and children"?  "Not things, but humans"?
Contemporary dictionaries, such as the OED and The Century Dictionary,
do give the more inclusive definitions of "man" before the sex-specific
definition.  Usage would have been different if the speaker were
actually addressing an audience including one or more women; the speaker
might, for example, say "Gentlemen and Mrs. Stowe."

John Baker