More on "decimate"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 12 19:23:34 UTC 2008

It differs in that cities and turnip fields are made up of individual elements, a portion of which can be "decimated," no matter what you mean by thyat word.

  A cathedral, OTOH, is an integral object (and let's not get metaphysical here). As much I'd like to do destroy my computer and all things associated with it, I would never think of "decimating" it. Because that's, like,  impossible!

  John: no.

  JL
goofy dreaming <goofy at DREAMING.ORG> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: goofy dreaming
Subject: Re: More on "decimate"

How is it different from this

...mercantile districts of cities are likely to be decimated by direct hits
of explosive bombs or incendiary bombs - Horatio Bond, ed., Fire Defense,
1941

...a severe frost set in... and my field of turnips was absolutely
decimated; scarce a root was left untouched - Scotsman, 1839 (in Hodgson
1889)

Both from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage page 321