New word? / technical term?

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Feb 12 19:58:48 UTC 2008

On 11 Feb 2008, at 20:14, Michael H Covarrubias wrote:

> I've heard it referring to the passage that plays out a piece.
> often a repeated
> and fading segment.
> OED has it with a first cite 1967

Possible antedating (from the other list):

> I remember the term from my radio drama classes beginning in 1959.
> My teacher, one of many women broadcasters who got canned and
> replaced by a
> veteran after the second world war, had been a producer at NBC
> during the
> 1930s and '40s.


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list