crunk

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 13 03:20:10 UTC 2008

At 8:31 PM -0500 2/12/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Earlier this year, I heard it defined as a portmanteau of "crazy
>drunk." That strikes me as unlikely, invented way after the fact.
>
>-Wilson

"Crunk" was probably the most popular selection on my students' "New
English Word Journals" the first time I ran that assignment in my
Structure and History of English Words course, in 2003 (even though a
google or Nexis hunt would have disabused them of its purported
novelty.  About half of them claimed it was a portmanteau/blend of
"crazy" + "drunk".   (Didn't we have a thread on "crunk" back around
then, concluding this was poppycock?)

LH