Paying with food or cash?

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Wed Feb 13 03:26:23 UTC 2008

"Are you paying with food or cash?"  Person at the cash register at an
Aldi in Minneapolis, to the customer ahead of me, earlier today.

She answered that she was paying in food.

In context, "food" here means the card which has replaced food stamps.

In case these details matter:  This was the Aldi at 2100 East Lake
Street.  The person at the cash register was a white male, probably
US-born.  The customer was a woman who appeared to me to be East African
  but who spoke without a foreign accent detectable to me.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."