bogart (v.)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 13 18:43:21 UTC 2008

Hm. I wonder how it came to be that the BE usage of "bogart" is based
on the perceived "bad-motherfucker"-ness of Humphrey's personality and
not on his manner of dangling a cigarette from his lips. One never
knows, do one?

IAC, "bogarting a joint" now has a whole 'nother meaning for me.

-Wilson

On Feb 13, 2008 11:27 AM,  <RonButters at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject:      bogart (v.)
>
> In a message dated 2/11/08 9:14:49 PM, RonButters at AOL.COM writes:
>

> > I remember the verb "bogart" from the mid-1950s,when it meant 'hold a
> > cigarette in one's mouth in such a way as to get the end wet." I guess it
> > would be a
> > natural progression from that meaning to one in which one kept the joint too
> > long.
> >

> A related meaning is found at the following site:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=sml2GznH_IsC&pg=PA37&
> dq=%22bogart+that+cigarette%22&sig=CNqZen3yIzOhpgRnOa9eGzJhf7w
>
> "If you let a cigarette dangle like that you are said to bogart that
> cigarette."

> The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy
> Awards. Go to AOL Music.
>
> (http://music.aol.com/grammys?NCID=aolcmp00300000002565)

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens