wild about Rappaccini's daughter (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 13 19:38:17 UTC 2008

Once, a German acquaintance kiddingly took a pen from me and, when I
tried to get it back, she said, "Wird wild!" I didn't understand what
she meant - well, I understood the words, but the words clearly had
some idiomatic meaning under that circumstance that I didn't
understand and which she didn't have the English to explain. So Bill
help me out, here. I've been confused about this since 1961.

-Wilson

On Feb 13, 2008 11:07 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: wild about Rappaccini's daughter (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> German for "crazy" is "wild".  Do you suppose this usage of English
> "wild" comes from the German, rather than a reworking of the English
> word?

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens