in the wild: "vegangelical"; "misremembers"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 14 01:48:33 UTC 2008

Today's NYT Dining section has a piece for Valentine's Day entitled
"I Love You, But You Love Meat",
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/13incompatible.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin,
on menu-discordant couples (or whatever you call them--that term is
mine, and intended for immediate recycling)--he's a vegetarian, she's
a carnivore; she's gluten-allergic, he loves bread; etc. etc.  So
there's this one Philadelphia couple consisting of Dynise [!], a
vegan, and John, an omnivore.  Rather than adopt the purism of the
"vegansexual" (a short-lived WOTY candidate from last month which
wasn't mentioned in this piece), Dynise is easy:

'She prepares vegan meals and diverts her eyes when he adds anchovies
or cheese. And she does not show disapproval when he orders meat in a
restaurant. "I'm not a vegangelical", she said. "He's an adult, and I
respect his choices just as he respects mine." '

Grant has "vegangelical" in his Double-Tongued, Ben mentioned it here
in a Jan. 7 post, and there are 1000 other hits (including several
referencing other online lexicons and some referencing the article
above), but this is the first time I've encountered it in the wild,
and I can't help but think this article will help it along a bit.

Another of today's words destined for at least a blip: "misremember".
It's what Roger Clemens claimed (several times) his buddy Andy
Pettite did when the latter presented testimony about the former's
discussing his and his wife's use of illegal steroids and HGH.  It's
not quite "lie", and it's certainly not "forget".  Nor is it
"dismember", even if that's what Clemens has seemed to have in mind
for several of his antagonists.

LH