does anyone need another example of positive ANYMORE?

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Feb 14 14:15:27 UTC 2008

Not to be too picky this morning, but I assume Charlie's question is
"how is" the possessive of "y'all" (or "ya'll") spelled, not "how to"?

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: does anyone need another example of positive ANYMORE?
>
>Have we (or has MM) addressed the perennially vexing question of how
>to spell the possessive form of "y'all"?  I often see "y'all's," but
>I would insist on the spelling "y'alls" because [1] two apostrophes
>in the same word look funny and [2] personal pronouns don't
>typically show an apostrophe before the possessive ending "-s."
>
>--Charlie

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English