Half a pair of buttoxes

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 14 15:40:53 UTC 2008

At 10:31 AM -0500 2/14/08, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Why go for them French guys when there are good examples in AmerEng?

I note dInIs's use of the sex-neutral referential "guy" here, since
as we all know the single-buttocked character in Candide was of the
female persuasion.  (Did she have a name, or was she just "la
Vielle"?)  I recall the tale of her lost buttock was a rip-roarer,
but the details elude me.  Ah well, I have a copy of the book on some
shelf or other.

LH