More on Tonto

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 15 19:01:29 UTC 2008

I notice in today's NYTimes that one of the films in "The 2007
Academy Award Nominated Short Films" (opening nationwide today) is
called "The Tonto Woman" (live-action).  This British film is a
western where the title character is "the socially outcast wife of a
rancher" "[k]idnapped by Mojave Indians" [reviewer's words].

I am led to think that the Tonto and Mojave Indians were not friendly
to each other, and so wonder why she is called a "Tonto woman."  But
that's all I know, folks, either about the Indians or the movie.

Joel