heart-rendering

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 16 00:09:08 UTC 2008

The man was upset--that must be taken into consideration. Or maybe it's a simple malapropism.

  During a lecture, my prof used the word "irregardless," and I almost fell out of my chair. But I kept my mouth shut because he was getting over the flu and not feeling well.

  bl

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Arnold M. Zwicky"
Subject: Re: heart-rendering

On Feb 15, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> In his prepared public statement on yesterday's campus shootings,
> NIU President John Peters described the outpouring of public
> sympathy as "renewing and heart-rendering." He used the word "heart-
> rendering" in this connection twice within one minute.
>
> This is the first time I've heard "heart-rendering" [sic] used as a
> synomnym for "moving; heart-warming."

discussion on Language Log back in April:

ML, 4/21/07: 3-D heart rendering:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004429.html

lots of google hits, and complaints back at least to 1987. here's one
critique:

Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993):

The real adjective is heartrending, meaning “heart-tearing” or
“heartbreaking” and hence “grief-causing.” Heart-rendering is a nonce
word, possibly a malapropism, but more likely a deliberate jocularity.

[given the evidence, it looks like it's mostly a malapropism]

arnold