"Tell It Like It Is"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Feb 19 03:20:56 UTC 2008

http://books.google.com/books?id=DyVNAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA574&dq=%22just+like+it+is%22+date:1700-1945&lr=&num=100&as_brr=0

1895: <<There isn't one person out of a thousand that will tell a
thing just like it is, and not give it a little coloring. How many of
you ever tell a thing just like you heard it?>>

http://books.google.com/books?id=NnAjAAAAMAAJ&q=%22exactly+like+it+is%22+date:1700-1945&dq=%22exactly+like+it+is%22+date:1700-1945&lr=&num=100&as_brr=0&pgis=1

"1941": <<Senator McKELLAR. That is the plain English of it, is it
not? I do not believe in beating around the bush. I do not believe in
dealing in euphemisms. I think we ought to tell it just exactly like it is.>>

[Loathsome snippet view: date uncertain, but in this case likely
correct, since the title matches news coverage from 1941. Senator
McKellar apparently served from 1917 to 1953.]

-- Doug Wilson