Posthumously

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 19 16:21:49 UTC 2008

Yes.  I'm conditioned to expect a following adverb to relate somehow to the preceding noun while actually modifying the succeeding verb.

  At least I think that's the explanation.

  JL

  Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Barbara Need
Subject: Posthumously

The following appeared in today's Almanac in the Chicago Tribune:

In 1999, President Bill Clinton posthumously pardoned Henry Flipper,
the first black graduate of West Point, whose military career was
tarnished by a racially motivated discharge.

Does anyone else get a first reading in which the pardon occurred
after Clinton's death?

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago