Humira pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 21 16:35:43 UTC 2008

>>> Saw an ad for Humira, the anti-rheumatoid arthritis drug, in a>>> recent copy>>> of Arthritis Health Monitor. In the "Consumer Brief>>> Summary" (shouldn't>>> that be "Brief Consumer Summary"?) they give its pronunciation as>>> "HU-MARE-AH."

I would have guessed ~Hyuemiru  (or ~Hyuemmeeru)

~ue as in "true",
stressed first syllable, (or ~mm for stressed second syllable, which would probably change ~i to ~ee)
~i as in "it", and
~u as in "up" (in English words ending in letter "a" are typically ~u "uh")

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:05:15 -0500
> From: faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
> Subject: Re: Humira pronunciation
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Alice Faber
> Subject: Re: Humira pronunciation
>
> Agreed. But MARE could be pronounced /miyr/.
>
> Benjamin Lukoff wrote:
>> Odd. I wouldn't think "mir" would be "MARE" in any variety of SAE.
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Barbara Need wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that's what they have been saying on the TV ads (with stress on
>>> the second syllable). Though recent takes seem to be raising to lax [I].
>>>
>>> Barbara

> --
> Alice Faber faber at haskins.yale.edu
> Haskins Laboratories tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
> New Haven, CT 06511 USA fax (203) 865-8963

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.