dialects and languages

Fri Feb 22 03:08:03 UTC 2008

Probably the easiest way to solve this is ask her what her definitions
of language and dialect are. It sounds like she thinks a language is
something sanctioned by the state or society and that a dialect is
something that is not.

Also, note that in Mandarin, dialect is 方言 (fang1 yan2), which
literally means direction speaking, implying that it is something spoken
out in the provinces or outer regions. This could potentially be causing
trouble for your interlocutor or her husband.

BTW, my understanding is that Mandarin encompasses a number of norther
dialects and that the common language is based on those. BB