dialects and languages

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 22 15:23:25 UTC 2008

At 6:42 AM -0800 2/22/08, Dave Wilton wrote:
>But if we follow the mutual intelligibility criterion, then Danish and
>Norwegian are the same language.

Or Swedish and...   That's exactly why I hedged
on the adequacy of the mutual unintelligibility
criterion, which really is neither necessary (as
Scandinavia, or now Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, or
Hindi/Urdu, shows) nor sufficient (as the
"Chinese dialects" case shows).  Further,
"mutually intelligible with" is neither a
symmetric nor a transitive relation.  And I agree
completely with your last sentence below.  That
being said, it seems a violation of ordinary
professional usage to consider two varieties as
distinct as Cantonese and Mandarin to be dialects
of the same language.  A similar and perhaps even
more complicated case is Arabic.

LH