George Washeengton's Spich empeedeemint

Fri Feb 22 20:47:17 UTC 2008

Probably he could not even say his own name properly or even pronounce the
condition that afflicted him; doubtless also he said "pin" for "pen" and
"breeng" for "bring." All people from Virginia have speech "impediments," and the
natives have had them for centuries.

In a message dated 2/22/08 10:13:19 AM, AAllan at AOL.COM writes:

> In the Writer's Almanac this morning, Garrison Keillor said that George
> Washington had a speech impediment. In particular, he mixed i's and e's,
> both in
> speaking and in writing.
>
> I hadn't heard about this before. Anyone know about it?
>
> - Allan Metcalf

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)