Maybe this is part of the whole language barrier I encounter as a non-native speaker.

Sat Feb 23 02:53:23 UTC 2008

I've been thinking about Japanese. There certainly is PC speech, where
traditionally discriminatory terms for blind, laborer, barber, mentally
retarded and the like have been replaced with acceptable terms. And
there is a nice way to talk about defecation and a bad way. There are
also polite pronouns and vulgar ones, and you might change the pronoun
you're using to your buddy, for example, when your grandmother walks in.

But I am sure that using a word that sounds similar as a substitute for
a taboo word does not exist. Fart, darn, heck, etc.

To me, the classic example is "Gee," which can be considered a
respelling of "G," short for "God," and therefore euphemistic and
unacceptable to some people. (I read this example in a novel once.)

I also saw "'Holy buckets!' exclaimed Audra Ostergard of Nebraska"
(http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2008/02/22/7) today. I think
"holy cow" is the general default for holy shit. I wonder whether  these
holy XX items are an extension of this pattern of substituting similar
words because "holy shoot" just doesn't work. BB