Maybe this is part of the whole language barrier I encounter as a non-native speaker.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 23 03:39:04 UTC 2008

At 9:40 PM -0500 2/22/08, Baker, John wrote:
>Thinking about this further, it seems to me that Arun Raman is
>asking specifically about taboo deformation in the profanity
>context.  In English these seem mostly to be found in the contexts
>of profanity (darn, heck)

aren't all of these profanities? or is that just a broadening.
Anyway, "gosh" < "God", "gee (whiz)" and I believe "jiminy" <
"Jesus", not to mention "(Jumpin') Jee-hosephat".  And there are the
combos, as "goshdarn" for "goddamn".  "Dang(nabbit)" for "damn".
"Tarnation" for "damnation".

>, defecation (pee)

"sugar" (with a prolonged initial S) < "shit"

>, and sexuality (archaic quaint and Internet fark come to mind

fudge for "fuck" when used as an expletive ("oh, fudge").

LH