George Washington's spelling

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 23 04:33:47 UTC 2008

I've been reading a lot of 18th c. American writing, and the spelling
is, to say the least, idiosyncratic.  I haven't read much of
Washington.  How true to his original text are the multivolume,
ongoing _Papers_ (Univ. of Virginia)?  And I assume that one should
ignore that written by secretaries.

Joel