Braintree

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 25 15:49:37 UTC 2008

Now wait a minute -- is there any evidence that Braintree was
anything else than named (and spelled) after Braintree, Suffolk --
from which, IIRC, many early eastern Massachusetts settlers came --
or that "Brantry" was anything else than some people's phonetic
spelling?  I'm sure I can find similar peculiarities in 17th and 18th
c. documents, although it would require some searching.  Braintree
was, of course, the site of Thomas Morton's "Merry Mount."  The site
http://www.townofbraintreegov.org/braintreehistorical/index.php
says "The area was resettled and incorporated as the town of
Braintree, named after the English town of Braintree in 1640."

Joel