preposition ~ zero

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Feb 26 12:40:43 UTC 2008

arnold,

I know you're deeply involved with preps here, but I hope you will
give the pros a look, especially in those German-influenced US areas
that support such strings as "I'm going downtown; don't you want to
come with." This appears to be one of those constructions "everybody
knows about" but still  lacks a full contrastive, structural, and
distributional account.

dInIs (not distinguishing between PRO and pro in this message)

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: preposition ~ zero
>
>How about Verb + (disappearing) Particle, where there's no object? I'm
>thinking in particular of "hang out" > "hang".
>
>On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>  i've applied for a summer intern to work on a continuation of my OI
>>  Project (on _O_mit Needless Words and _I_nclude All Necessary Words
>>  advice in English), with special attention to be paid to preposition/
>>  zero alternatives for particular verbs (as in the "depend (on)" case i
>>  posted about a little while back).  we've had considerable discussion
>>  on ADS-L about the phenomenon; i think i've saved all the relevant
>>  postings.
>>
>>  now i'm asking for further nominations, of cases we haven't
>>  considered, or of discussions of familiar cases (like "depart" and
>>  "arrive") in places i might have missed.  (there's no guarantee that
>>  i'll actually get an intern, of course, but i'll continue thinking
>>  about the phenomenon no matter what.)
>>
>>  if you have suggestions, send me e-mail -- or, if you think they'd be
>>  of general interest, post them to the list.
>>
>>  arnold

>--
>Mark Mandel

Dennis R. Preston