Dear Abby on gender-neutral "guys"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 26 14:54:08 UTC 2008

At 3:37 AM -0500 2/26/08, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>Turns out the use of "guys" for female referents rankles a lot of
>"Dear Abby" readers...
>
>http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/advice/chi-080226dear-abby-column,1,1275286.column
>
>--Ben Zimmer

Dear Abby's Grammar/Lexicon Watch goes back a
ways, whether mom or daughter was writing it.  I
like her reader's no-nonsense way of disposing
with the "All is not lost"/"All that glitters is
not gold" construction.  (Unlike the simple
matters of personal morality she's fond of
adjudicating, though, these controversial usage
questions are ones on which Abby herself
carefully avoids taking a stand of her own.)

Dear Abby column, 4.9.02

GOOD GRAMMAR IS SWEET MUSIC TO ANY
LANGUAGE-LOVER'S EARS

DEAR READERS: A while back, I wrote a column on
the misuse of words and other irritants and named
a few. I then asked readers to send their pet
peeves concerning common mistakes in grammar and
pronunciation. How's this for a collection?

The "lie" and "lay" confusion: To "lay" means to
set or put; to "lie" means to recline. Remember,
chickens  lay eggs. People lie down.

The use of "all are not" when the person means
"not all are." Example: Saying, "All women are
not beautiful," when one means, "Not all women
are beautiful."

We frequently hear "between you and I." Wrong!
It's "between you and me." Another irritant is
"try and" instead of "try to." For example, one
may try to win -- then lose. But how can one try
and win -- and then lose?

[and so on, to the sins of "irregardless", using
"that" a relative pronoun with a human
antecedent, etc. etc.]

LH