wheel barrel

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 27 16:25:05 UTC 2008

It's been years since I've heard my name spoken in the real local
dialect - as opposed to that used by the "Talented Tenth," to coin a
phrase - but I'm fairly sure that there's an [l]. Of course, [-V at -] is
very hard to distinguish from [-V at l-] and I could very well be
mistaken. I remember when I was taking a course in Ukrainian and
someone asked the professor, a native speaker of Ukrainian, how the
pronunciation of /l/ in Ukrainian differed from its pronunciation in
Russian. The prof answered, "[Eu]? Tozhe samoe kak i po-russki
(Exactly the same as in Russian): [Eu]." Of course, in Russian, /l/ is
pronounced almost exactly the same as in *English*: [E at l].

I agree that the final syllable is [sn]. I was attempting to represent
the syllabic /n/ by "@n."

I've mentioned that there were, back in the day, two distinct dialects
of BE spoken  Saint Louis's two separate 'hoods, "Downtown" and "West
End." I can distinguish only as "more Southern" (Downtown) and "less
Southern" (West End), because of a lack of terminological knowledge on
my part, not because there was some dialectological peculiarity
present. In college in Saint Louis, in the first desegregated, hence
pan-neighborhood, public school in the state of Missouri, I once
flirted with a girl from Downtown (her name was Barbara, but she was
known as "'Hind" [hV:n] (I don't know a phonetic symbol for Southern
long i) because of her Hottentot-like arse; you can never tell how the
genes are going to lean, since 'Hind was otherwise a typical octoroon,
for all practical purposes indistinguishable from any random white
girl), asking her for her picture. The next day, she handed me the
picture, saying something like::

"Here's your picture, Wilson." [hi at z yo pItC@, wi at s@]

A West-Ender would have said "[hirz ... wI at lsn]."

-Wilson

On 2/25/08, Dennis Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>
> Poster:       Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
>  Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>
>  [wIwsn],
>
>  Hypercorrect [hw] is cool; thanks for that.
>  BUT
>  I'm very suspicious of the postvocalic [l] you indicate in the
>  transcription of what locals called you, perhaps even also of the
>  schwa before your final [n]. I could go for a nasalized schwa (no
>  [n]) or a syllabic [n] (no schwa).
>

>  dInIs
>
>  >---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  >-----------------------
>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>  >Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  >FWIW, in East-Texas middle-class BE, "wheel barrel" is the standard
>  >"correction" of local [hwi at l bae@]. Also, "Wilson" being a very rare
>  >name locally, the locals always call me by the hypercorrected
>  >[hwi at ls@n] instead of *[wi at ls@n]. I've never liked my name, so I kinda
>  >dug being "Wheelson."
>  >
>  >-Wilson
>  >
>  >On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
>  >>  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  >>-----------------------
>  >>   Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >>   Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
>  >>   Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>  >>
>  >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >>
>  >>   As is the explanation complicated. Your wife is not a post-vocalic
>  >>   /l/ vocalizer (or deleter), and her rendition is a "real" folk
>  >>   etymology (there is no "barrow" for her but there is a "barrel"). For
>  >>   us standard-speaking post-vocalic /l/ vocalizers (and deleters), the
>  >>   temptation is greater since added to the folk etymological urge is
>  >>   the phonetic evidence itself.
>  >>
>  >>   But I think you are right than we done did this.
>  >>
>  >>   dInIs
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>   >---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  >>   >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >>   >Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>  >>   >Subject:      Re: wheel barrel
>  >>
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens