wheel barrel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 27 17:35:04 UTC 2008

At 11:43 AM -0500 2/27/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Exactly so.
>
>Sometimes, a name can be popular in one area and unknown in another.
>The original "Wilson" was my father, a native of Alabama, where
>"Wilson" is a common name, who moved to Texas after he met my mother.
>A couple of other Alabama Wilsons are Wilson Baker of Selma fame and
>Wilson Pickett, the soul singer. The only other first-name Wilson that
>I've ever met, other than my father, was a guy named Wilson Cohen that
>I once met at a party in Sacramento.
>
>Names ending in "-son" are quite popular in Brazil (remember Edison
>Arantes?) Once, I was watching the credits roll at the end of a
>Brazilian movie, when I saw, "Wilson Grei ... Flunky." Oh, well.
>
>-Wilson

Not just Brazil; I think Wilson itself is relatively robust in Latin
America as a first name.  Besides Wilson Betamit, an infielder for
the Yankees last year, there are various other Wilsons I know I've
come across in the sports pages, although I can't think of their
identities right now, and they may all have been Latin Americans
(including those from the Caribbean area).  Maybe Woodrow W. had a
big impact down there, and they're still perpetuating it?

LH