Heard on The Judges

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 28 19:51:54 UTC 2008

I've heard "jump on" used in a sexual sense. Nothing new. Every hear "jump X's bones"?
  You could write a book, based on the language used in THOSE programs.

  bl

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Heard on The Judges

On the Judge Greg Mathis show appeared a white, standard-speaking
woman with her sixteen-year-old son and a white, standard-speaking
woman with her fifteen-year-old daughter. The boy's mother complained
that the other woman's daughter had deprived her son of his virginity.
The girl's mother replied that the son had gone upside her daughter's
head.

Nothing gives Judge Mathis the jaws more than hearing that a man has
abused a woman in any manner. So, before the boy's mother could reply,
the judge angrily interrupted, saying, "That soun' like assault to me!
Let me hear 'bout this boy _jumpin' on_ that girl!"

The standard-speakers were completely discombobulated, having not a
clue as to what the judge wanted them to tell him.

I thought that the "jump-on" conundrum had been solved in days of
yore, after President Clinton complained about the press jumping on
his wife.

-Wilson
-----
-Sam'l Clemens