learning to speak "standard"

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 28 21:56:32 UTC 2008

I have a "gay voice", but was told early on it's 'who I am' as opposed to
'what I am' by a libertarian mother. Where linguistics meets the
metaphysical, maybe.

I can't help but think of all the actors with distinctive "voices", like
Wallace Shawn or Carol Kane.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> The poor guy! He must feel the way I feel about "ackin uh nigguh" in
> front of white folk! If I wasn't sitting here, comfortably invisible
> at home, I would never be able to be relaxed and my real self on the
> board. If I were with y'all in the flesh, I couldn't  act any way but
> "standard," except *perhaps* with Larry and the two Geoffs, whom I've
> known for years, but haven't seen in years.
>
> Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer beyond what arnold has
> suggested. Years ago, I knew a speech therapist who had gone into
> linguistics. She met my roommate and, as soon as it was discreetly
> possible, she told me that he had a lateral lisp, familiar to all as
> the distinctive feature of the speech of Daffy Duck. I was much
> impressed, since I hadn't, and still haven't, heard anything
> Daffy-like in my friend's speech. So, either (some) speech therapists
> are really very good or she was just jiving me.
>
> In my case, I had plenty of clues at a very early age that I didn't
> talk "proper" and was lucky enough to be able to do something about
> it. So, not only do I not sound like a black East Texan, I *can't*
> sound like one, having avoided that style of speech all of my life. I
> can give examples, but I can't conversate.
>
> Because there are so few black Catholics, only about 700,000 in the
> 'Forties, *all* of my teachers have been white, so that, even in my
> all-black grade school, I had the example of my teachers to follow.
> But I never understood the point that Sister Claire Marie was trying
> to make WRT "Ten" versus "tin." She may as well have been trying to
> make us distinguish between "leak" and "leek."
>
> A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 2/28/08, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> -----------------------
> >  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >
> > Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> >
> > Subject:      Re: learning to speak "standard"

> > On Feb 28, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Ron Butters wrote, in response to:
> >

> >  In a message dated 2/27/08 10:53:07 PM, hwgray at GMAIL.COM writes:
> >
> >  > The claim that mastering standard English as a teenager is a struggle
> >  > is the one that's unreal. All that's necessary is the motivation and
> >  > the opportunity,
> >

> > RB:
> >

> >  > Motivation is a tricky thing, as we know from the earliest
> >  > sociolinguistic
> >  > studies (as well as from experience). Among adolescents, the choice
> >  > can mean
> >  > that one opts for being (or is psychologically driven to being) a
> >  > "lame" in the
> >  > classical Labovian sense. And there are things that are below the
> >  > level of
> >
> > > consciousness, too...
> >
> >  [anecdotes follow]
> >
> >  let me throw sexual orientation into the mix.  i've been corresponding
> [...]

Bradley A. Esparza

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Dorothy
Parker, when asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence.