window of focus

Fri Feb 29 16:57:26 UTC 2008

I had never seen the computer term "window of focus" used in this rather
ordinary way--is Shia LaBeouf being poetical, or is this estblished slang among
young people and/or in the entertainment industry? I found 60,000 Google hits
for it, but (except for LaBeouf's use) the first few pages of findings are all
used in a technical sense, e.g., simply the window that one has open on one's
computer screen and is focusing attention on; a more metaphorical use is as
"the ability of individuals to bve immersed and attending to a particular working
sphere" (see Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on
Computer-Related Work, [2005], at http://books.google.com/books?id=i5QmiSsYl1cC&pg=PA155&
lpg=PA155&dq=%22window+of+focus%22&source=web&ots=IpcmVmPjQU&
sig=NGjlmzCAQW9MjjTlNtjIqJjw8pQ&hl=en#PPP1,M1).

Maybe The Beef is just repeating what his shrink told him.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=24602
LaBeouf Opens Up About 'Utterly Insane' Arrest

 Actor Shia LaBeouf bitterly regrets his 2007 arrest for trespassing in a
Chicago, Ill., drugstore, insisting the incident occurred in a moment of "utter
insanity."
 The "Transformers" star, 21, was charged with a public misdemeanor in
November, after refusing to leave a Walgreen's while drunk. The charges were later
dropped.
 But LaBeouf admits the bizarre event was an isolated incident, which he is
putting behind him as a life lesson.
 He tells the British magazine Empire, "That was complete and utter insanity.
I was an [bleep], and it was a mistake I'm still completely embarrassed
about.
 "I was in the middle of a strange mind state, having just come off a
three-month window of focus. I can't diminish what happened at all. But I can say
this: I'm not the first 21-year-old to be arrested for a misdemeanor. There are
lessons in life I need to learn, and I'm learning all of them in front of the
public."

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)