Orange, forest, etc.

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 1 03:39:32 UTC 2008

Hmm. I grew up in NYC suburbs and city, with parents who were both NYC-born.
For the recent discussion, I have /a/ in orange, corridor, and forest, /O/
in moral. Generally I have /a/ for "short o" not before /r/, including hog
and frog, with dog /dOg/ as the notable and possibly sole exception. I may
partially round some of these in some speaking/performing styles, and in
making rhymes (I write some songs and poems) I'll often conflate /a/ and
/O/.

m a m