LSSU Banished Words list, 2008

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Thu Jan 3 03:30:58 UTC 2008

One of my teachers once warned us not to use "annihilate" in the place
of "kill", as "nihil" means "nothing", and killing usually leaves a dead
body, or at least some sort of matter, behind. I forget if this was in
German or English, but it works equally well for either.

Also, during my short and sadly unglorious time as an English teacher in
France I was criticised by the senior colleague who was supposed to be
mentoring me for including "adore" in the list of ways to express one's
like/dislike (classical beginners' lesson topic.... like/love/be keen
on/not mind/dislike/hate/etc. + V-ING, usually). (Well, it *was* in the
textbook, along with all the others.) But she tersely reminded me of
it's primary religious meaning "worship".

Cheers,

Chris