DARE---(George Thompson's extensive notes)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 3 14:34:53 UTC 2008

I agree completely.

  Meanwhile, George, send me a copy.

  JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: DARE---(George Thompson's extensive notes)

I'd be interested in the notes and will cheerfully pay whatever cost is =
involved. But I believe George might also consider compiling his work =
into a book-length manuscript that can be published in a very limited =
edition, if necessary. There should be an introduction explaining the =
nature of the project, and he might make various general comments at the =
end. Even if the book is self-published, it can achieve the stamp of =
scholarly approval by being favorably reviewed in a journal such as =
_Dictionaries_ or _American Speech_.
=20
George's scholarly work is very valuable, and compiling his extensive =
notes into a book very much deserves the encouragement of the scholarly =
community. I expect the material in his notes will be important both in =
itself and for the additional research it will stimulate.
=20
Gerald Cohen
New e-mail address: gcohen at mst.edu
As of January 1, 2008 my institution is renamed Missouri University of =
Science and Technology (formerly: University of Missouri-Rolla)

=20