"hot corn"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 3 20:20:46 UTC 2008

At 1/2/2008 09:37 PM, George Thompson wrote:
>Not in HDAS, and not perfectly clear why it should mean what it seems to mean:
>
>         Some were so uncharitable as to say "I hope in God both may
> get their hot corn."
>         New York Herald, August 28, 1841, p. 2, col. 1  [referring
> to a duel between August Belmont and a gentleman from South Carolina]
>
>Hot corn was sold from buckets on the streets, then, and was
>regarded as a summertime treat, at least for the lower orders.

I assume it means "get their just deserves"  :-)

Was "corn" ever used to describe a size of gun-shot?  What was used
in dueling pistols?  In 18th century newspapers, hail was compared in
size to marbles, or the eggs of various birds.  There is also
"grapeshot", and I imagine other terms describing size in terms of
common objects.

Joel