"hot corn"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 4 17:13:06 UTC 2008

Cf. "hot stuff" in HDAS.

  JL

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: George Thompson
Subject: Re: "hot corn"

Joel Berson suggests;
Was "corn" ever used to describe a size of gun-shot? What was used
in dueling pistols? In 18th century newspapers, hail was compared in
size to marbles, or the eggs of various birds. There is also
"grapeshot", and I imagine other terms describing size in terms of
common objects.

This is very likely; though perhaps the key word is "hot" -- the wish is, that both will get something hot.

George A. Thompson