hackleschmackle; was: Re: FW: blends? eggcorns?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Jan 5 01:41:57 UTC 2008

Ah, a new word is born!  Lexicographers, take note. If the verb "hackleschmackle" ever reaches the big time of standard slang, today's ads-l messages about it will be historically significant.  (I'm tempted to add a smiley face here, but with new words and their possible future popularity, you never know).

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of James Harbeck
Sent: Fri 1/4/2008 7:13 PM

<snip>

-- I just verbed it because I didn't feel like sitting here for another minute finding that bloody mot juste.

You'll find three hits if you search it with a space between hackle
and schmackle. One of them is actually on my own website. Obviously
it's not an especially common word! But ISTM that the meaning is
guessable, no? And the sound symbolism and reduplication can't hurt
it.

<snip>