FW: Politiqueras (OED? DARE? Anywhere??)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Jan 6 15:44:51 UTC 2008

Barry sent the message below to a select group of ads-lers, and I now forward it to the entire list.  The term "politiqueras" is of interest for the political lexicon, for the influence of Spanish on English, for dialectal speech (Texas), and in general for the subject of languages in contact.

Gerald Cohen
gcohen at mst.edu

________________________________

From: Bapopik at aol.com [mailto:Bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Sun 1/6/2008 3:44 AM
Subject: Politiqueras (OED? DARE? Anywhere??)

I just posted "pachanga" and will do "politiqueras." Not in the revised OED? Not in DARE? Grant's political book or website? Nobody's ever lived in Texas before?
--Barry Popik
[P.S.]...15,300 Google hits and 376 hits in Google News Archives

1.21.2006

<http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=11184&Section=Valley>

Politiqueras Gone Wild!

<http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1647/961/1600/dems.0.jpg>
Former Rep. Steve Wolens liked to call them vote-harvesters. Down in deep, deep South Texas however they are called "politiqueras." Not always, but generarally, ladies involved in get out the vote efforts, who it is alleged, sometimes cross the line with aggressive, at times improper, tactics in doing their job.

The use and abuse of the politiquera system has become an issue ever since a heated mayor's race and a number of indictments raised the profile of the ever growing system.

Local Democrats in Hidalgo county are talking about taking steps to control the "arms race" and abuses in the use of politiqueras. I have to applaud the steps Chairman Maldonado and local Democrats are taking. Because of the pressures to win at all cost, it may be difficult for some politicos to get their actions to match their commitment.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape <http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>  in the new year.