[ADS- L] Ev id ence for DECIMATE   ( 'one in ten')

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Jan 8 14:55:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:30:56AM -0500, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
> OK, here are a few more which I consider most compatible with
> "[about] 1/10" rather than with "arbitrary large fraction" ... some
> perhaps open to question. Many of these (not all) can, of course, be
> explained away if one considers it natural to say something like <<He
> killed a lot of them, or more.>> or <<He killed almost a whole lot of
> them.>>.

If you're taking these as evidence of a 'kill one in ten' sense,
then yes, I'm afraid we're going to disagree quite strongly about
how common this sense is. If forced I'd take the two examples
with specific numbers (worse than decimated, i.e. one-third, or
twenty percent) as potentially useful, and I'd reject the one that
discusses "literal" use as being too self-conscious. The others can't
be taken specifically at all; sure, it's possible to force a reading
of 1/10 on them, but there's no evidence.

The real question when interpreting these quotes, for me, is
not "if we go in armed with some preconception, how can we
twist these to make it fit," but rather "what can we assume
from the citational evidence?" If I took all of these quotes
and rewrote them by changing "decimate" to "frobnitz", so we
had "The Roman Church was worse than frobnitzed by the fierce
persecution," there's no possibility that anyone would argue
for a 'kill one in ten' reading.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED