dog's letter

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Tue Jan 8 16:48:52 UTC 2008

Quoting Tom Zurinskas:

> The below from Wordsmith
>
> dog's letter (dogz LET-uhr) noun   =       The letter R.
>
> [From Latin littera canina, literally dog's letter. In Latin the sound
> of the letter R was trilled. Think Grrr! of a snarling dog. A good example
> of a trilling R is none other that the Spanish word for a dog: perro.]
>
> Is "grrrr" the right kind of trill?

Well while we're at it...

Do cows really say "moo"? You know, it seems to me it's probably  closer to a
nasal mid vowel or even an extra long velar nasal.

Who's transcribing these animals? I propose a moospell system.