More early "Murphy-ish" citations (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 8 19:46:07 UTC 2008

>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>I've mentally debated with myself about what makes a citation a
>precursor to Murphy's Law (and so far, I'm winning the debate  . . . ).
>In a formal paper or article, I'd be much more strict -- a precursor
>should be similar in wordage to "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong";
>it should be a statement about the general cussedness of the world and
>what a bitch Mother Nature is; and it should not describe how things
>were, or how an event went, but how things _are_ and _will be_.
>
>But in an informal post like this, I figure it's better to include
>something than leave it out, if there is any doubt one way or another.
>
>Plus, since the first one is about polar exploration, it seems related
>somehow to mountaineering, which also provided an example of the "Law".
>And the third one was interesting to me because it provided another name
>for the "Law" (we now have Murphy's Law, Fourth Law of Thermodynamics,
>and the Law of Inverse Probabilities -- am I missing any others?)

That third one is perfect, except for postdating other serious
instantiations.  It was the first two (and the last) that I thought
allowed for non-proverbial use, although as you say the exploration
connection is intriguing.  I wonder if there are other cites of the
LIP, given that Stasheff & Bretz here seem to presuppose familiarity
with it (although that could be for stylistic effect).

LH